Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Nag

The mother in me came out yesterday, however when it's aimed at your spouse it becomes "nagging." Little, thoughtful questions like: "You know you only have 30 minutes until you have to leave for your appointment, don't you?" or "It's now five minutes until you need to leave," somehow get misconstrued as an attempt to control.     
     In my defense, perhaps I feel a bit responsible for being the person who taught the spouse how to use the computer, so like the rest of us he no longer blinks or tells time.
     Or...maybe I have something in common with Mubarak and Gadhafi, and others in that region who are finding themselves out on a very weak limb. If I had just thought to provide the equivalent of a months salary--to be spent however the recipient desired--my "mothering" would be welcome. Then replies of "I'm leaving!" "You should be happy to be all by yourself today," would be spoken only in the privacy of the vehicle once said spouse left. :}
     But, being a dictator doesn't work well for a marriage, so I guess I'll give it up and save the "mothering" for my kids. Just kidding!!!!
     At least the spouse doesn't hold grudges. As we were saying goodnight last night, he rolled over and whispered in my ear: "Goodnight my sweet, thoughtful, cheerful, patient wife."
     Or wait...was he being facetious??

For those of you who now can't wait to read my next post on Saturday--Hello. Is anyone there?? Well, if anyone is there, I'm headed to SLC to spend the week with my sister from Maine, so Saturday's post will get moved to Sunday.
Catch you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment